Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trout Lilies

Posted by debbiecz3 z3MB (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 18:01

Would like to try these little spring bulbs. Anyone have any experience with them and what is your opinion? I will only have the option of the very hardy varieties based on my zone 3 garden. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trout Lilies

Erythronium americanum and E dens-canis are supposed to be hardy in your zone.

I grow dens-canis in my cold/bleak area and it does reasonably well but multiplies only slowly. E revolutum does much better - but that's more a starter for zone 5, apparently.

Both are on their way up at the moment. I'm waiting to see if the hefty mulch cover I put on over a dry summer has had any measurable benefit. Fingers crossed.

o

Growing 5 species, 4 ENA & one from Southern Sierras(CA).
Seed starting 4 more. Requires about 5 years from germination to bloom.
In addition to E. americana, you should also be able to grow E. albidum(native to ON & N MN) and E. grandiflorum, found in the Rockies of BC, AB, MT, ID, WA.
They need good drainage and in my area, the native ones are usually found growing on rocky slopes.
E. americanum is a shy flowering species and even in large wild populations, only about 5-10% will have flowers.
I have had no success, here in the SE US, growing E. dens-canis & E. japonicum. May work for you, in a colder region.
It's somewhat difficult to find many of the species, so seed is the only option. I obtain mine from the North American Rock Garden Society Member's seed exchange, held annually during the winter.
They are adaptable to pot culture. A friend grows several species in large pots on his patio and parking area.
Good luck!
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: NA Rock Garden Society

o

• Posted by erutuon 4a Twin Cities (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 10:18

Erythronium albidum grows in southern Minnesota as well. It's very abundant at Nerstrand Woods State Park near Northfield, south of the Twin Cities.

o

I planted some late last Dec, with the tulips. I don't remember where! Yes, I made a map, but can't find it either. Woe is me, I don't know what their emerging foliage looks like.

Can any of you describe it?

thank you
c

o

Can any of you describe it?
Most will be just one mottled colored leaf. When the bulb matures enough and has 2 leaves, it will then bloom.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Trout lilies-google images

o

If you planted 'Pagoda' or 'White Beauty', you will probably have green or sometimes mottled foliage, that is similar to the Tulips. One of the parents of both is Erythronium tuolumnense, which see on the link.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Erythronium tuolumnense

o

thank you thank you!
the images I found online showed the dark mottled foliage and these are bright green and have two leaves and look like rounded tulip foliage. Yea! At least they came up to remind me not to walk through that spot.

I have apologlized to them profusely.

thank you both
smiling
c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here