Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you ID this plant?

Posted by samfawzy10 Z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 18:17

I got a big tuber from my sister and we both don't know what plant it is, do you know what it is? Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you ID this plant?

It appears to be an Amaryllid. I don't know what species without a bloom.
Del

o

I got a big tuber from my sister and we both don't know what plant it is,
Did your sister have it planted and left in the ground where she lives? If so, where does she live? Has it ever bloomed for her?

Sue

o

Thanks npublici and chemocurl.
My sister got the tuber when she was travelling and had no chance yet to plant it.

o

Where was she when she bought it?

It doesn't look like anything that is hardy that I am familiar with.

You are planning on bring it in this winter, aren't you?

You might try asking about it on the Tropicals Forum or at Name that Plant linked below. Please update us when you find out something. I'm curious too.

Good luck.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

o

Thanks chemocurl.

My sister was in Egypt when she bought it.

Because I never planted amaryllis; I goole it and figured out how amaryllis bulbs looks like! Mine bulb is completely different, it is small bulbs connected together!
Yes I am planning to bring it indoor.
And; I will update you when I find out about it.
Thanks again.

o

Do you think it might be tuberose? They can have clumps of bulbs and the foliage looks similar. It's a tropical bulb that gets real fragrant blooms. I've never grown it myself but a friend did recently and I think it kind of looked like that. Maybe someone with more experience will know.

Here is a link that might be useful: tuberose bulb

o

Cyrtanthus elatus ......maybe.

o

Well, one thing is for certain. I am sure anxious to see it bloom so it can positively be identified. I'll bet it is going to be a real beauty.

It looks nice and healthy. When did you first pot it up? I wonder if maybe someone on the Tropicals Forum might have some suggestions for what it might be and its care.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here