Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID help & advice: amaryllis belladonna bulbs?

Posted by misia CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 19:07

Hi! Moved into my first home in Fresno Ca. 2 yrs. ago and there are massive mounds of bulbs that never produce foliage or blooms. No luck getting an ID from local nurseries. Thought they may just need to be divided and then might produce or maybe divided and planted deeper? Also thought about digging up and throwing away because beds just look empty and ugly with these large mounds. There are some naked lady / amaryllis belladonnas coming up near them and bulbs look similar. Can anyone guess what these bulbs might be or offer advice on what you'd do with these?I'd be so appreciative of any feedback you might have. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID help & advice: amaryllis belladonna bulbs?

Sorry - posted pic, but didn't go through - here's photo of bulbs for ID.

o

I would dig them now and divide them. If they did not bloom in the last two years they are not going to. This is the time they would be sending up flower stems. I would wait until the rains start to replant them in sunny locations, out of the way of most of the garden. They will grow foliage over the winter which will die down in the spring completely until the blooms come up with no foliage about the first of August. They may not bloom for a year or two, sometimes even more, if they don't get enough sun. In most soils they get along with just the winter rains, but benefit from some summer water, and no fertilizer is usually required. Al

o

Thank you so much Al. I'll do that. Wasn't sure if they were Amaryllis, and wasn't sure how to replant without knowing - seemed strange that they were mounded up so high above ground. But, you're right - not much to lose if they haven't produced in 2 years. Thanks again for helping make a decision.

o

When you dig them, clean one off and post a pic, folks here might be able to better judge what kind it is, and how healthy it is. If they are in good condition, you could have a great treasure trove there - just in need of some attention to make it shine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here