Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Rain Lily From Seed

Posted by eahamel 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 19:33

I recently collected some rain lily seeds. Don't know what kind, but the blooms are yellow. How long do I need to let them dry before planting? I got them about 4 days ago, the seed pods were open but the seeds were still in them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Rain Lily From Seed

I plant them immediately. I'm in central FL so they sprout easily here. Just sprinkle them on top of a pot with potting soil in it and stick it outdoors in partial shade. They sprout for me within 1-2 weeks.

o

Yes. They do best if they are sown fresh. I do cover my seeds with a light dusting of potting soil and then pat the whole thing down into the pot. Water daily. Don't let them ever dry completely out. I keep them in their pots in the house under lights through their first winter, though, since you are in zone 9, you may not need to do that. They will bloom in three years. Two if you are lucky.

o

Thanks, I'll get them planted today! Donna, our winters are usually pretty mild, but occasionally we have a whopper of a freeze, so keeping them under lights their first year sounds like a good idea.

o

I bring in my seedling trays during freeze events. Otherwise they remain outside. Once they have been planted into the ground, I don't protect them at all. The ground never freezes here, so they are fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here