Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow flowering ALLIUM

Posted by rouge21 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 19:36

Do GW members have experience with this yellow flower allium.(Allium OBLIQUUM)?

Here is a link that might be useful: OBLIQUUM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow flowering ALLIUM

Hi Rouge,

Yes, I am familiar with Allium obliquum. I started some from seed a couple of years ago and I planted some mature bulbs (from Odyssey Bulbs) last fall. My seed grown plants were still not quite large enough to bloom, but I got a decent show from the mature bulbs.

In my opinion, the true ornamental value of this plant is in its developing flower stems and buds. They will twist and turn and curl around for weeks as they slowy develop, and provide a great deal of "textural" interest to the garden during that stage. Once the flowers open, the stems are more or less upright and lose all of that architectural appeal.

Here are a few of my personal criticisms about this plant to keep in mind:
1. A lot of references I checked before planting it stated it was a "later blooming" drumstick-type, but my plants finished blooming weeks before the regular purple drumsticks even started.
2. Once the flowers open, the flowerhead is very small in relation to the overall plant, which is quite robust with strappy garlic-like foliage.
3. Foliage on my plants is still healthy and green with no signs of dying down. I was hoping it would have exited quietly by now, lol!
4. Flower color is neither as dramatic nor as impactful as I was hoping for, and it is barely noticeable in my garden.

So, in summary, it has EXQUISITE flower stems/developing buds, mediocre flowers, a poorly balanced plant habit (especially when compared to the common purple drumsticks), and overall looks like a domestic garlic plant but shows no signs of dying down.

o
RE: Yellow flowering ALLIUM

As always an excellent review of this plant...thanks ispahan.

It is very expensive as a bulb. I may try a few just to see that stem!

(Btw, I did try to PM and email you to thank you for your last year's endorsement of ranunculous "Flore Pleno". I for sure saw its great promise this first full spring in my garden. I even planted 2 more a couple of weeks back. It is the best new plant in my garden).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here