Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant bulbs NOW?

Posted by avajay 6a So. IL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 19:52

I have several packages of bulbs of different varieties that I had picked up this spring, most of which I had not planted yet. I have some bulbs of surprise lilies and daffodils from Mom's house that I need to get into the ground, as well as move some irises. While I'm at it, can I put some of these still-packaged bulbs in? I've got glads and freesias, one called acidanthera (star gladiolus) of which a few are already growing. I also have some caladiums (sp?) and elephant ears growing, can they stay in or do they need to be dug up for winter. For what it's worth, I read that surprise lily bulbs need to be dug up and stored for winter for my zone, but ours survive outside every year, just in case that fact has any bearing on whether or not other bulbs would fare just as well.

Thanks,
Joyce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant bulbs NOW?

You don't say where Mom's house is. Lyrcoris radiata (surprise lilies) are rated as hardy to zone 7 with protection. I'll let you be the judge.

The daffodils (recently dug, I assume) will likely do better if you keep them in a cool dark place until fall to plant.

The (bearded?) irises should be fine to move now.

Most glads are only winter hardy to zone 8. You can usually get away with deeper planting and mulch in Zone 7b.

As for the others, if they are growing, certainly plant them. If the bulbs are still firm, plant them. If they are dried up and very light for their size, or if they are soft, toss them.

The Caladiums are tropical. They must be dug and stored over winter.

There are many kinds of elephant ears, but I know of none that are winter hardy above zone 7.

Freesias are winter hardy to zone 8.

Acidanthera to zone 7.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to move to the sweet sunny south! :)

o

Born and bred in NC. May move back there someday.
Thanks for the tips.

Joyce

o

For what it's worth, I read that surprise lily bulbs need to be dug up and stored for winter for my zone, but ours survive outside every year, just in case that fact has any bearing on whether or not other bulbs would fare just as well.
There are numerous bulbs that are referred to as Surprise Lilies. What you most likely have is the hardiest ones, which is Lycoris Squamigera, and it is hardy here and per the link below they are hardy to zone 5.

Everything you mentioned should be planted now with the exception of the daffs which would be best planted in the fall after the soil temps have cooled some.

Everything but the daffs and the surprise lilies will need to be dug and stored.

Sue...chemocurl

Here is a link that might be useful: Lycoris Squamigera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here