Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djbrandon199

Planting Spring Bulbs

djbrandon199
10 years ago

Hello Everyone! :)

I'm pretty new to gardening, but I have a friend who's helping me through everything. I've got two beds set-up with a reasonable amount of plants in one of them. As for the other one, I'm smothering the grass and weeds for planting in fall.

The friend of mine brought up ordering bulbs for the fall together and I was wondering if there were some that I could plant in my yard without mulching, or weeding and only giving them rain water?

I already have Crocuses, Snowdrops, and Winter Aconite in mind but I was also thinking about Species Tulips, Grape Hyacinths, Hyacinthoides non-scripta, Hyacinthoides Hispanica, Scillia Siberica, Ipheion Uniflorum, Chionodoxa, and even some daffodils. I'm asking about the daffodils because before I got the border set-up there were several tulips, both species and the fancy kind, and Daffodils (none of which I planted) growing in the shadier part of my yard that gets morning sun and very little afternoon sun. I didn't even water them, though I did transplant them to the new border

Also, will these be shade-tolerant? Do they spread as well? The majority of my backyard, which is huge, doesn't get sun for the full six hours required for "full sun".

Thanks in advance, Brandon

This post was edited by djbrandon199 on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 11:47

Comments (2)