Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Spring Bulbs

Posted by djbrandon199 5b/6a Ma (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 20:23

Hello Everyone! :)

I'm pretty new to gardening, but I have a friend who's helping me through everything. I've got two beds set-up with a reasonable amount of plants in one of them. As for the other one, I'm smothering the grass and weeds for planting in fall.

The friend of mine brought up ordering bulbs for the fall together and I was wondering if there were some that I could plant in my yard without mulching, or weeding and only giving them rain water?

I already have Crocuses, Snowdrops, and Winter Aconite in mind but I was also thinking about Species Tulips, Grape Hyacinths, Hyacinthoides non-scripta, Hyacinthoides Hispanica, Scillia Siberica, Ipheion Uniflorum, Chionodoxa, and even some daffodils. I'm asking about the daffodils because before I got the border set-up there were several tulips, both species and the fancy kind, and Daffodils (none of which I planted) growing in the shadier part of my yard that gets morning sun and very little afternoon sun. I didn't even water them, though I did transplant them to the new border

Also, will these be shade-tolerant? Do they spread as well? The majority of my backyard, which is huge, doesn't get sun for the full six hours required for "full sun".

Thanks in advance, Brandon

This post was edited by djbrandon199 on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 11:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Spring Bulbs

I think all of your bulb options should work, they also should do well in a semi shaded unmulched location. The snowdrops and winter aconite might be the only ones a little iffy, and not because the planting site doesn't suit them, more so because many bulb vendors carry bulbs that have dried up and will be too weak to survive without coddling.
But they're still all great choices, just don't take it too hard if the two I mentioned give you a little trouble. (and dont let my warning discourage you too much, snowdrops and winter aconite are two of the best and earliest little bulbs to grow!)

o
RE: Planting Spring Bulbs

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it :) My aforementioned friend said that she would be willing to share her snowdrops and winter aconite because she has tons of them. My friend did tell me that winter aconite usually doesn't grow from bulbs.

Thanks again! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here