Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocosmia - how mature need to be before bloom?

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 21:20

I have a TON of Crocosmia on my property, only a small number of the plants that have grown quite large (e.g. 18" tall) bloom, the rest do not. They multiply like crazy everywhere, I have groups that are probably 50 bulbs due to them multiplying like rabbits but in many cases NONE of the bulbs in the group are blooming although height-wise often they are probably 10" tall or so.

So how mature do Crocosmia have to be before they bloom?

I have them in a variety of lighting conditions all over, started with a handful of bulbs but now they have all multiplied into large groups.

The plants ALL look healthy, it's the blooming is the issue...

I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocosmia - how mature need to be before bloom?

Many Croscomia multiply so fast, they can crowd themselves out and stop blooming. If your Croscomia aren't blooming, that is what I would suspect. I would suggest that you thin them. There are a few slow crowders out there. C. 'Jenny Bloom' is one of the best.

o

Sometimes light levels can be a problem. They do well under trees but only the ones at the edges , where there's more light, actually flower.

The other problem that comes to mind is - they're too well-fed. For example - in many places here it's a weed. Along river banks, in silt, and with leaf litter from willows, they grow like grass with few flowers. Vegetative reproduction works too well.

However, floods shift some bulbs out onto the shingle. They don't proliferate to the same degree - and they do flower, with strong colour. Well-drained. Full sun. Low nutrients. Reliable water at the roots. Perfect drainage.

spazzycat 1: did you have your tongue firmly in your cheek when you mentioned 'thinning'? Be prepared to dig down many inches to remove the multiple old corms that form like a string of beads. And the long, pointy runners that gleefully go through other bulbs on the way to Crocosmia bliss. Totally agree with you, however. They need thinning before they sneak through the garden.

o

vetivert8,

I've found that I can effectively "thin" most established clumps by pulling out individual plants rather than digging up the entire clump and replanting. This is best done in the fall, but if you wait too long, the plant will separate from the corm when you tug it.

o

One of my gardens had such a problem with spreading Crocosmia that I had to dig the whole area and pass the soil through 1/2 inch hardware cloth to remove the corms. For the next couple of years I dug up the individual plants as quickly as they appeared. When they get into a low ground cover they can be a real nuisance. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here