Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skfrey25

Long-blooming tulips?

skfrey25
11 years ago

Hi everyone!

New to the forum, and to gardening! I would love to plant some tulip bulbs this fall. Any suggestions as to which varieties bloom the longest? I have read that species tulips and Kaufmanniana tulips have nice bloom periods, but beyond that, I am pretty clueless! Any advice would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Sarah

Comments (6)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Well, it's all going to depend on weather. The earlier tulips do last longer, overall, because the odds of a hot spell hitting that will decrease the bloom life to as short as 24-48 hours are lower. This year, however, our freaky March bout of 80s and 90s popped the earliest tulips out and made those, as well as crocus and other early bulbs, last only a few days. But that is not the norm. Generally it is the latest varieties to bloom, such as the Giant Darwins, the Single Lates, the Lily flowered, and the Parrots that can be done in by a spring heat wave.

What you really want to do is have varieties from different classes so that you have a continuum of bloom across the entire tulip season from very early to very late. My Greigii and Kaufmanniana do tend to be the very first to bloom, while Queen of the Night, a dark purple/black late tulip, is the absolute last one in my garden.

• skfrey25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That makes a lot of sense! Since I am a beginner, maybe it would be best to start with two or three varieties? Maybe a species for very early blooms and a Darwin hybrid for later? Or would there be a better combo?

Thank you for the advice!

• skfrey25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I have so much to learn! Hopefully I will gain more knowledge with experience! I appreciate all the help, though.

I have selected a few varieties that I am considering, purely from looking at pictures and bloom times:
    ��* little beauty (species)
    ��* tarda (species)
    ��*�ollioules (Darwin hybrid)
    ��* Pink Impression (Darwin hybrid)
    This is just as a start, as I don't want to start out with too much and be in over my head! Am I thinking in the right direction, or am I totally off course?

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

I think you're on the right track, but I'm not a big fan of t. Tarda. (kinda leafy and not so showy IMO). Also ollioules and pink impression are similar in bloom time and color, I'd just pick one ( I love pink impression).... Some later tulips could be either a parrot type tulip or one of the single late types such as hocus pocus or temple of beauty (tall and huge flowers!)

Nothing wrong with just going by the pictures and bloom time, just take a look at height too.... Something like little beauty really is little, just a few inches tall :)

• skfrey25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great suggestions! I am feeling a bit more confident now... Hopefully my garden will all fall together nicely! Thank you so much for being so helpful!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH