Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long-blooming tulips?

Posted by skfrey25 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 21:46

Hi everyone!

New to the forum, and to gardening! I would love to plant some tulip bulbs this fall. Any suggestions as to which varieties bloom the longest? I have read that species tulips and Kaufmanniana tulips have nice bloom periods, but beyond that, I am pretty clueless! Any advice would be wonderful!

Thanks!
Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long-blooming tulips?

Well, it's all going to depend on weather. The earlier tulips do last longer, overall, because the odds of a hot spell hitting that will decrease the bloom life to as short as 24-48 hours are lower. This year, however, our freaky March bout of 80s and 90s popped the earliest tulips out and made those, as well as crocus and other early bulbs, last only a few days. But that is not the norm. Generally it is the latest varieties to bloom, such as the Giant Darwins, the Single Lates, the Lily flowered, and the Parrots that can be done in by a spring heat wave.

What you really want to do is have varieties from different classes so that you have a continuum of bloom across the entire tulip season from very early to very late. My Greigii and Kaufmanniana do tend to be the very first to bloom, while Queen of the Night, a dark purple/black late tulip, is the absolute last one in my garden.

o

That makes a lot of sense! Since I am a beginner, maybe it would be best to start with two or three varieties? Maybe a species for very early blooms and a Darwin hybrid for later? Or would there be a better combo?

Thank you for the advice!

o

Kaufmannii, Fosteriana and Griegii tulips are similar in style and substance to hybrid tulips such as early and late singles, lily-flowered, viridiflora and so on. Most of the other species tulips do tend to be both smaller and more ephemeral (but very beautiful, especially the lady tulips, T,clusiana and the batalini type with lovely glaucous foliage). Another thing to consider is where you are growing tulips and whether they are likely to return every year. Species tulips do tend to be perennial, even when grown in containers whereas hybrid tulips really need to be planted deeply in the open ground to have any chance of returning the following year. In truth, there are other considerations as well but you can, by planting carefully, have tulips of one sort or another, in bloom for at least 2 months and sometimes longer if you plant lily-flowered tulips or, the very latest to bloom T.sprengeri (an expensive treasure).

o

Wow, I have so much to learn! Hopefully I will gain more knowledge with experience! I appreciate all the help, though.

I have selected a few varieties that I am considering, purely from looking at pictures and bloom times:
��* little beauty (species)
��* tarda (species)
��*�ollioules (Darwin hybrid)
��* Pink Impression (Darwin hybrid)
This is just as a start, as I don't want to start out with too much and be in over my head! Am I thinking in the right direction, or am I totally off course?

o

I think you're on the right track, but I'm not a big fan of t. Tarda. (kinda leafy and not so showy IMO). Also ollioules and pink impression are similar in bloom time and color, I'd just pick one ( I love pink impression).... Some later tulips could be either a parrot type tulip or one of the single late types such as hocus pocus or temple of beauty (tall and huge flowers!)

Nothing wrong with just going by the pictures and bloom time, just take a look at height too.... Something like little beauty really is little, just a few inches tall :)

o

Great suggestions! I am feeling a bit more confident now... Hopefully my garden will all fall together nicely! Thank you so much for being so helpful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here