Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to remove liatris corms and how to store them

Posted by Crazy1Colleen 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 22:17

Even though I live in zone 8a, it is not correct. I live in the high desert which is more accurately defined by Sunset Western Gardens as zone 11, or as I call it, "the kiss of death." Liatris does not come back the next year if left in the ground, I was wondering when to remove them from the ground to save them for next year and how to store them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to remove liatris corms and how to store them

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 19:43

Probably once they go dormant, would make sense to me.

o

LOL!! You managed to hit one of the very few of the 24 or so Sunset zones where liatris is NOT reliable overwinter.

Here's what to do : In areas outside their normal hardiness, lifting may be needed. Simply dig and divide the corms in fall, drying and storing them in slightly moist sphagnum peat moss over winter. The corms will require about 10 weeks of cold storage before replanting in spring.

o

Thanks so much gardengal. I defy the "kiss if death."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here