Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has any in zone 5 left calla lily bulbs in the ground and had the

Posted by mori1 5/KS (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 5, 09 at 0:03

Okay, my goal this season was to work on the flower beds in the front yard. But thanks to the weather,some other issues and very bad twisted ankle. I got started today and the weeds were not happy. I still have to plant the calla lilies that I started from bulbs in April. So image my surprise when clearing away some weeds to find a calla lily in the one of spots that I planted some last year. I thought I dug them all up. There is a small amount of mulch over the spot but I can't figure out how it survived the winter. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has any in zone 5 left calla lily bulbs in the ground and had

I have always heard/read that they were only hardy to zone 7. What may have happened is that they may be in a microclimate where you have them planted...that is it is warmer there in the winter than in other parts of your property. Microclimates usually are the first areas to have the snow melt off in the winter/spring.

I have one patio dahlia, that is planted in a bed on the south side of the house, next to the brick wall. It has survived being left in the ground for probably 4 winters. I have never noticed before, but imagine it might be a small microclimate area.

Sue...chemocurl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here