Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are fancy tulips more difficult to grow?

Posted by tropical_thought 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 0:56

I am thinking of order some of the fringed tulips or the more fancy ones like parrots or green ones. I have mixed luck with tulips. I planted 12 one year that I got from a local nursery and only about 6 came up. I do refrigerator in a separate refrigerator without fruit. I wonder if I should take a chance with something different. I think getting a large number of all the same tulips is boring. I like a mix, but often mail order won't let you just take one of each. I would hate to order 20 of the same tulip and have it fail. I live in San Francisco.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are fancy tulips more difficult to grow?

Do you have squirrels around. Squirrels love to eat tulip bulbs and that could be why only half came up. When you plant make a bowl shape with chicken wire and put it over the bulbs, then cover them in. The shoots come up through the wire but the squirrels can't dig them out.

Other than that there are certain things you must do to grow them in warm climates. Check out this site

http://www.bulb.com/templates/dispatcher.asp?page_id=21597

If you look closely you will find some mixed ones in the catalogue or try some other bulbs like daffodils--they don't just come in yellow anymore, or hyacinths. I like to plant my tulips in clumps of 6 or so in a circle with a couple in the middle, so other things can come up between them. It takes away that boring feeling you talked about. I'd take a chance, you just might be happy you did

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here