Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katetrav8b

Cluster of small bulb identification

katetrav8b
10 years ago

I have been digging up my yard and I found clusters of small white bulbs all over. I moved into the house 3 years ago and I haven't noticed anything growing from those areas before. Can someone help identify?
Thanks.

Comments (11)

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Neat! Wonder if they are rain lilies of some sort. Or maybe lycoris. Were they dormant when you dug them, or did you trim the foliage? Maybe pot them up and see what they do so you can id them? It's hard to find a bad bulb=)

• katetrav8b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They were dormant. I planted them today and I'm hoping that its not something invasive.

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

I doubt they are invasive. Since they are dormant now, I'd guess some sort of lycoris, which blooms in fall from bare ground, and then has grassy winter foliage. Post a picture when the start growing for a better id guess.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

It's hard to tell the scale in that photo but if they are small bulbs - like an inch or less in diameter - then they are most likely some sort of squill/bluebell : Scilla or Hyacinthoides. These naturalize rapidly and often not very showy in bloom.....could be easily overlooked :-)

• katetrav8b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much. I'll post a pic if I see anything in my yard or if my potted bulbs grow.

• julia molina
    2 years ago

OH MY! Seriously there are a million of these in my first garden space some of them are a quarter of an into about an inch in diameter. I am pretty sure they arent anything I want in my garden! I have picked out hundreds and hundreds of them... still many many more. They are everywhere. It was in a grassy area in which I choose the space for my garden....still trying to figure out what they are! i realize this is an older post...help..lol

• julia molina
    2 years ago

ITS ONION WEEDS!!!!!! LOOK IT UP!!!!!!! wow I didnt think I would ever know! Cant be defeated

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Julia, if you want an id of your plant I suggest you start your own post and include clear pictures giving a scale and also your location. Give any additional details such as scent.

There are multitudes of small bulbs and we never got a definite id of the original one since the OP never returned with further information. There’s no way of telling if yours are the same.

• julia molina
    2 years ago

They look exactly the same. It's nothing major to me. It's whatever. I will stop posting. I was looking for id of my issue this morning n came across this. If it's a problem that I commented. I want removed completely off this site. Soooooorrrryyyy!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

No need to get your panties in a twist!! Adding comments to a stale dated thread - such as this one is - is unlikely to generate much additional helpful advice. That's why it was suggested you start your own thread and post clear, to-scale photos of the bulbous plants that are bugging you. As floral noted, there are dozens of plants that will produce similar sized and looking bulbs so to find out what you have requires more than just an add-on comment.

This so a very helpful site but you need to help us help you and that won't happen with shouting (using caps) nor with sarcasm.

• Lady Greywolf
    2 years ago

I found some of those little weirdos in my garden too. They smell like garlic and are a half inch to an inch. Northeast location. Lots of them in my garden. Dormant. White. I just pulled them out.