Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oath5

Gladiola Hardiness?

oath5
15 years ago

I'm extremely confused with gladiola hardiness... I just got some WONDERFUL corms from Old House Gardens, they bloomed beautifully, both 'Mary Housley' and 'Atom', both great shows, turned into nice sturdy plants..however, I'm confused as now that I look online it shows that both are only hardy to zone 8, and I'm way far from that zone, however my family has had a patch of gladiolas in our garden for more than nine plus years (pretty sure) that return faithfully in all sorts of colors....nothing special either, like the mixed bag kinda stuffs. We use them for cutting.

Is hardiness all over the board with gladiolas? I had always known they were tender, but assumed since ours grew that all were okay here....

Any input is okay, I mean I'm fine with digging stuff up, I just thought I didn't have to.

Thanks guys!

Max

Comments (4)

• paddlehikeva
    15 years ago

Hi Max,

Yes, hardiness of glads does vary greatly. In my experience the older, shorter variety seem to be less hardy. I think that is why they are so hard to find. Last winter I had some glads bulbs which were supposedly only hardy to zone 8 heave out of the gound. They stayed on the surface of the ground through most of the winter where my temperatures dropped to around zero. I planted them once the ground thawed and they bloomed beautifully this year.

BTW I got 'Apricot Luster' from Old House and it is stunning. I will be ordering more glads from them. Also have you see the Flevo cultivars which B&B sells? They are much smaller than standard glads and really work well in flower arrangements.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: B&B Flevo Glads

• oath5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good to know then Kathy, I was ready to let them stay in the spot, going by my bargain bin buys that do so well (multiply like crazy, lots of young glads). I'm glad I second guessed myself and asked this time.

Your bulbs literally burst through the ground? Something like that happened to me I think, suddenly there were really shallow glad bulbs sticking up out of the ground this year, I thought something had dug them up. Interesting.

Anyway, I'll be digging up my dahlias this year ( I got them from Old House too, impressed there as well) I might as well dig them up along with them since they're in the same bed. I really like 'Mary Housley' it was far prettier than what I was expecting,I'd love to have it around for years to come.

Admittedly, I've seen some of the Flevo cultivars, but I've never purchased them, I always saw the same ones. It looks like there are a few different ones out there as opposed to the last time I looked... they seem good enough to keep in mind for next year, I'm liking the look of Kosmic a lot actually, thank you! My family runs a bbq carry-out business and since we grow so many flowers we thought we could also have a flower stand or something next year, these would be welcome cut flowers since we adore glads at our house, which is why I got these heirlooms in case we had set up this year, since few other people probably grow them in the area (though, I'd probably be surprised...)

Anyway, thanks Kathy! I was a bit puzzled there, thanks for setting me straight, I really appreciate it.

Max

• irishdancersgram
    15 years ago

A friend gave me a lot of her bulbs and I have no idea what type they are...I guess I should dig them out and store for the winter, just to make sure I don't loose them.....

And, you do plant them in the fall, right? When she gave me the bulbs, I planted them and they are blooming now, but she said, she plants her's in the fall....

• dirtdiva
    15 years ago

Irishdancersgram- I live in SW PA also. I have a lot of glads and they keep multiplying. So I only dig up a handful of my most cherished ones just in case the others don't make it through the winter. Actually, MOST of the ones left in the ground DO make it through the winters. However, last year I had some that did not make it. The croms were rotted. So, if you have the time, dig a few for peace of mind. This will save time and work for you.
    They are then planted in the spring. Overwinter in a cool dry place.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz