Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
summer bulbs for heavy soil?

Posted by linaria 7-8a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 6:57

Hello there,
after moving from a sandy area to this spot with heavy clayish soil I am about to give up on Dahlias. They were so easy to grow in the sandy soil...
But after 2 seasons with little or no success I will switch to something else. I do some soil amendment (mulch, compost) but nothing drastic as I lack time.
Are there some summer flowering bulbs which I overlooked? Otherwise I would just go for resilient annuals.
Thanks for your ideas, cheers, Lin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: summer bulbs for heavy soil?

I have had no trouble with bulbs generally and certainly not Dahlias in clay soil. Are you sure the trouble is the soils clay content? Al

o

Where do you live? If in the Deep South, the trouble is not the clay, it's the humidity and hot nights. The only dahlia I have grown with success is Bishop of Llandaff. That's not to say there are NO dahlias that do well here, but I don't think there are many.

As to summer bulbs. You can't go wrong with Zephyranthes and Crinums in the sun or Caladiums in the shade. (If you are in the South). Crinums and zephyrs are both beautiful and and they bloom repeatedly. Crinums require patience. They hate being disturbed, so expect at least a two year wait before they bloom. They are worth the wait.

o

As you're willing to improve your clay (best thing for it!) you might want to consider growing tuberous begonias for over the summer. You can start them indoors in pots until any late frosts have gone, and then plant out when the soil has warmed up.

Another couple which tolerate heavier soils are Watsonia (but may become weedy), and Eucomis. Plus Lilies of various kinds for both early and late summer displays.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here