Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs emerging from ground?

Posted by saltimbocca (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 8:36

Not the shoots - the bulbs themselves! This is happening with a bunch of my early spring bulbs, mostly grape hyacinth, some crocuses. They've been blooming happily for over five years, and there is no noticeable ground erosion.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs emerging from ground?

When Muscari clumps are becoming congested they often 'come to the surface' and sit there 'greening up' like potatoes in sunlight. Were they mine, I'd dig them up, thin the clump out to big bulbs only, add some well-rotted compost - and replant.

I don't have that problem with crocus (apart from salzmannii); I do with Galanthus. They sprawl around under the trees in summer, looking abandoned, until I pounce and restore them to the depths in some amended soil. Then it takes them about three years to wriggle to the surface again. It's not uncommon...

o
RE: Bulbs emerging from ground?

I have had the same with Amaryllis Belladonna and they will stop blooming unless dug and divided. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here