Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gladiolus flowers breaking

Posted by kaali_maali 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 8:57

I have planted some gladiolus bulbs this spring... they are blooming now but each but plant is not able to support the flowers and they are drooping or breaking.... do not have so many staking sticks, I see in my neighbours her gladiolus without support also is doing quite well. Where did I go wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gladiolus flowers breaking

A typical problem with glads - the bloom stalks are heavy.

Use one stake to tie up several plants if you've planted them close enough together. Or pick the flowers and enjoy them in the house, since they don't look all that great outside once the florets start blooming out up the stalk.

Next season, plant the corms deeper and closer together. A good sized, solid corm can be planted 5-6" deep; this will give the plant stability. And close together is fine too - NOT the 6-8" apart as the literature always says. I plant mine an inch or two apart at the most - and in clusters, not all lined up in a row like soldiers. Lastly, you could always buy more stakes - inexpensive at Wal-mart.

o

I buy bamboo stakes at Dollarama. I also use velcro plant ties. These are easy to use and hide in the foliage or between flowers. They are reusable. I collect all mine in the fall and put them in a large margarine container. Some I have used for 4 years and they are still good.

duluthinbloom is right you didn't plant them deep enough

o

Those planted deeper did not make it! Maybe the soil was too hard.
So I need to add lots of top soil and plant deeper next time. I will check walmart for stake which are cheap and velcros plant ties for next season.
I think planting close is a very good suggestion, mines are soldier type right now. (o: with the space mentioned in the packet.
Also, I did take those broken flowers in and they indeed looked very pretty there, need to plant more next time... some to be lost just like this year, some for inside and some for outside... loved these flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here