Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peruvian Daffodil - Ismene hasn't bloomed

Posted by bloominganne Atlanta 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 9:16

Hi, I have a generous neighbor that gave me a Peruvian daffodil bulb about 3 years ago and it's never bloomed. I planted it in a raised bed that gets lots of sun. Every year it makes foilage and never blooms. It is overgrown by a large salvia. When should it bloom? How can I get it to bloom? Is it possible I planted it too deep and should remove it and plant it higher?

Thanks, bloominganne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peruvian Daffodil - Ismene hasn't bloomed

Yes I think you planted too deep. They are reliable bloomers when kept close to the surface but planted six inches deep will often not bloom. Al

o

Thanks, Al, I'll replant it. I think it's been making offshoots since there's more foilage each year so I may have more than one to replant.

o

On the eastern seaboard, Ismenes tend to be sporadic in their blooming because of erratic rainfall patterns; they're used to very definite wet/dry seasons, such as in a Mediterranean climate. 'Sulfur Queen' is the only selection that blooms fairly reliably for me in the ground. Festalis and 'Pax' bloom pretty well if the bulbs are either grown in pots and stored dry on their sides for a few months or lifted and stored for the winter, but just make big clumps of foliage when left in the garden all year. I've also found that for most amaryllids deeper planting keeps the bulbs from splitting as much, which in turn promotes flowering (since the plants can't reproduce vegetatively, they attempt seed production), but this may not be true of this group of Hymenocallis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here