Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Callas-when to dig?

Posted by flowergirl70ks 5/6KS (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 9:56

Last spring I had a post about callas, asking how to get them to bloom, as I had no luck getting them to bloom in pots. It was suggested to grow them in the ground. I planted the pathetic looking things, no bigger than my big thumbnail, and was very surprised at what I got. Huge plants-some at least to my waistline, and very vigorous. Not every clump bloomed, but most did, including a very dark, almost black one. I had forgotten I even had that one.
My question now is, when to dig them, and how to store over the winter? I don't think they will live in the ground here for the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Callas-when to dig?

No, they would not be hardy in your zone.

According to the link below, others wait until frost nips the leaves, and then they dig them. Store them in a cool area where they won't freeze. Some folks store them in peat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Digging up Calla & Cana bulbs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here