Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this beautful tulip?

Posted by gardengrammy z5PA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 9:56

I had these tulips for years but this past winter some varmint ate everyone of them! I would like to replace them as they are my grandson's favorite. Can anyone help?
Thanks so much!
Colton's Tulip

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this beautful tulip?

It's probably Tulipa greigii 'Red Riding Hood' although it has just a little bit of an orangish tint to it in the picture, whereas RRH is pretty pure red. That could just be the photo, though. It might possibly be T. g. 'Ontario' which is sort of a pinky/orangy/red color. Most likely Red Riding Hood, though.

o

Thanks so much! I had found Tulipa Greigii in a bulb catalog and thought that was it, but wasn't sure. They don't sell Little Red Riding Hood though. I'll have to keep searching!

o

I think they are Red Riding Hood actually (no Little in the name), but Fire of Love is the other possibility. I grew both last year and was happy with them.

o

I have both and Fire of Love has cream variegation on the leaves so most likely Red Riding Hood. Brenty and Becky's has them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Riding Hood

o

why not look at one me greiggi? I've had these return in Texas in my compost pile. The foliage looks a little different than yours. My Red Riding Hood was shorter than this one too....but why not look?

smiles
c

Here is a link that might be useful: Casa Grande

o

I did look....thanks. The ones I had were shorter than most. I ordered Red Riding Hood. Hopefully they will be the same!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here