Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rain lilies/fairy lilies wont bloom

Posted by mye3suns z8NC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 19, 09 at 9:58

I have rain lilies. the leaves have to be at least 10 inches long. lots of leaves...no flowers. What am I doing wrong? how do I get them to flower? I've had them for a year and a half now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rain lilies/fairy lilies wont bloom

Do you know what species you have? Some of my Zephyranthes and Habranthus are blooming now, but my Zephyranthes candida typically don't start blooming until Sept.

o

Try lifting them and let them dry off for a month and replant

o

Spazzycat,

I just dug up over 2,000 rain lilies to take with me as the highway dept was demolishing the old family home. I've raised many of the from seeds, but it seems to take years to go from seed to bulb to bloom. Mine bloom only in the Spring when the temps and barometric pressure coincide. They'll keep their leaves up for gathering strength to bloom next year. As they age, they'll pull themselves deeper into the soil - probably because they are searching for more water. They are great drought tolerant bulbs as you know.

I hope you start saving the seed heads and start your own bulbs for blooming one day.

Xtal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here