Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Time to Buy Bulbs?

Posted by edlincoln 6a Massachusetts (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 11:09

When should I start mail-ordering Fall bulbs?

I want to take advantage of the end-of-season sales and not have bulbs sitting around too long before I plant them in the Fall, but I don't want the stores to run out of stock and I want to allow time for the bulbs to arrive.

I'm in Zone 6A Massachusetts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Time to Buy Bulbs?

If you order them now most places aren't even open for shipping yet. When you find a place you like, they usually have a shipping calendar based on your zone. You would probably look to receive your bulbs sometime in October.

o

End of season sales for fall planted/spring blooming bulbs is usually not until Christmas or later.......often when it is too cold for much of the country to plant. Then you have to hold them until the ground thaws which is usually too late for any sort of proper bloom. My feeling is get 'em while you can! I receive bulb catalogs in early summer and I order then - waiting too long can result in the varieties you really want being sold out and thy only ship when zone appropriate. In my climate, I can plant any time through winter but still do not rely on end of season sales - I do not care to risk just getting leftovers.

o

Some places don't ship until Fall...but some ship as soon as you order. One place I like has somewhat erratic shipping policies. (Ships some time between two weeks and one month from when you order...but there prices are good and they sell stuff I can't find elsewhere).

Places that specialize in bulbs may have their sales later, but some stores that sell plants have "end of season" sales now, and occasionally some bulbs end up in the sale bin. I just got a great deal on a potted Nodding Onion I'm not sure what to do with...

I've been told August is a terrible time to plant bulbs, but I've never tried it. I've had some good luck planting things in November and January, surprisingly. (We had a warm early-winter last year).

I'm also kinda cheap.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 10:44

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here