Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I plant now/what needs dug for winter?

Posted by bookjunky4life 5/6 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 11:39

I just ordered some ice stick tulips (early spring bloomers) and grecian wildflowers. I assume I will get them around the end of August/beginning of September. I am at the border of zone 5 and 6 in Central Illinois. Do I go ahead and plant the bulbs when I get them? Do they have to then be dug up in the fall? If so, after frost? how do you store each?

Additionally, I have the same questions 1) do I store for winter 2) if so, when do I dig and how specifically do I store for the following:

Gladiolus
Iris (bearded, I believe)
Dhalias
Pixie Lilly (a kind of Asiatic lilly?)

I am also planning on ordering:
Shogun Japanese Iris
Azure Allium
Daffodils
Asiatic Lillies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I plant now/what needs dug for winter?

Typically, bulb companies ship when it is time to plant in your area, so you should be fine planting when you receive your order.

Here's what I know about the others:
Gladiolas: you'll have to dig and store. Wait until the foliage begins to brown, or as soon after frost kills it as possible. Dig the corms while the stems are still firmly attached. Shake off the soil and let them dry a few hours in the sun. (Be sure to label them and keep them sorted accordingly.) Then remove them to a frostproof garage, etc. to cure for a few weeks. High temps won't hurt them, but they need good air circulation. When the stems come off the corms easily, do that and clean them up (soil), put them into paper bags, a small box, or a flat, always with a LABEL. Store them as close to 40 degrees as you can. You can pack them in sand, peatmoss, etc, but this is usually not necessary.

Bearded irises do not need to be dug.

Dahlias do need to be dug. Consult the dahlia forum for excellent information.

I'm pretty sure that Asiatic lilies do not need digging. If I am incorrect, I am sure someone will chime in.

Japanese Iris, Alliums, and Daffodils are all winter hardy. No digging needed.

o
RE: Should I plant now/what needs dug for winter?

I agree with donnabaskets about everything

If you have a damp basement for storage of your Glads I would bury them in peat moss in a container with a tight fitting lid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here