Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Narcissus daffodil quesiton

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 12:15

Hi all. I'd posted here a while back but never got two specific questions answered. I have a few bulbs from a daffodil someone gave me in the Spring. Once the flowers were spent, I removed the bulbs from the planter. The bulbs have been sitting out in the open on my porch ever since.

1) Can the bulbs continue to just sit out in the open on my porch, or am I supposed to 'store' them in some special way (i.e., in a cool dark place?) until I plant them in the ground before the first hard frost?

2) Once bulbs are in the ground and presumably flower in the Spring, can I then just leave the bulbs where they are and they will presumably re-flower each Spring? I've never worked with bulbs before but I thought I heard that some bulbs you need to remove from the ground and store somewhere, and then re-plant later in the year? Naturally I'd prefer if I could just leave these bulbs in the ground and forget about them.

Tx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Narcissus daffodil quesiton

1) It would have been preferable to store them in a cool, dark, dry place, but if they're still firm and free of mold or rot, they should be fine.

2) Narcissus bulbs are winter hardy, so you can leave them in the ground. In fact, they need a cold period of 14-16 weeks in order to bloom. With decent soil and sunlight, they should multiply over the years. The only bulbs that must be removed and stored for the winter are those that are not winter-hardy in our region - calla, canna, caladium, elephant ear, tuberose, etc.

With any bulbs, you can remove the dead flowers, but always leave the foliage until it has yellowed and withered. As long as the foliage is green, it is making food for the bulb ... and next year's flower. If you removed the foliage from those bulbs this past spring, plant them anyway - they may not bloom this year, but will put up leaves and will most likely bloom the next year.

o
RE: Narcissus daffodil quesiton

thanks so much...very helpful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here