Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

You might have a Daffodil addiction if.....

1...you have acquired 60 new (to you) cultivars spread out on the floor, waiting to be logged onto a spread sheet before properly storing until planting time.

2...you additionally have orders coming in later from 3 sources, but still want to look at and maybe order more.

3...you feel an urgency to start making up both above, and below ground markers for the new bulbs you already have plus those coming in later, to assure the name will stay with the bulbs.

4...you spend hours looking them up on Daffseek since you have never seen many of them before.

5...you are already anticipating 2 upcoming Daffodil Society meetings and what all they might yield.

6...you really start to be concerned already with where these are all going to be planted so they will thrive.

7...you wonder when your local daffodil friend/collector is going to give you the bulbs she has dug and put aside for you, but you 'hate' to ask. (They are likely still being cured properly)

8...you are already looking forward to the Spring Daffodil Shows (Competitions), and wonder how many you can attend and hopefully enter.

9...you love driving drive 2 hours (one way) to go to a Daff Society Bag and Tag Daffodil Party, helping to prepare daffs for upcoming Daffodil Society Sales, and hanging out for the day with other 'daffodil' people.

10...last, but not least, you enjoy looking at and touching the bulbs, and think of the beautiful blooms they will produce in years to come.

A daff friend mentioned a while back how he liked looking at the bulbs, and feeling them and I thought he was a bit strange. Now I am understanding the happy feelings he got from his daff bulbs.

Is anyone else showing signs of Daffodil Addiction?

What are 'your' signs?

Sue

Comments (5)

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

Oh my!!!!

Is there a 12 Step Program for this???

(It's the miniatures that get me - in the Divisions 6 and 10. 'Come to me...buy me.. croon over...' Aaargh!)

BTW - there are buds on the bulbocodiums. Sigh of contentment ^__^

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I'm not as bad about daffs as daylilies or iris. I only have 30 some varieties, although I add a few new ones every year. I'm starting to love how my yard looks in the spring. I REALLY appreciate that link of daffseek! I don't have mine labeled well, although I have the names so I need to get them organized in the spring. Now I'm going to have to look into daff societies & see if one is fairly close to me... NOW see what you've done, just what I need, another addiction!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is there a 12 Step Program for this???
    Not that I am aware of, but if there was, I wouldn't be ready to have any part of it.

BTW - there are buds on the bulbocodiums. Sigh of contentment ^__^
    Do you have various named cultivars of those? I only have one variety, and found out there is no such daff named as Yellow Hoop Petticoat. There is however a Petticoats on Daffseek, but no pics. I think the different cultivars of bulbocodiums are hard to tell apart, or at least they are from the pics.

I REALLY appreciate that link of daffseek! I don't have mine labeled well, although I have the names so I need to get them organized in the spring.
    Yes, you are...and then we are going to have to see if I 'need' any you have...lol, and likewise.

Now I'm going to have to look into daff societies & see if one is fairly close to me
    There is only one in KY and that is the one in Louisville.
    I know you are a good ways from Louisville though, but I'm not sure in what direction. Possible a surrounding state might be closer.

Daffodil Societies across the USA

The Kentucky Daff Soc just held their bulb sale Aug 8th. It is always the first Sat in Aug and is at Otte Nursery. Iris, Daylily, and Hosta Societies also have their annual sale there that day too. You could really get your fix there! Mark your calender for next year...lol

Next weekend is another of the IN DAff Soc bulbs sales in Indianapolis. I'll be working there Sun. Might you need for me to shop for you some? All named cultivars are $3 and there is at least one blooming sized bulb, and some smaller bulbs with it. A lot of these cannot be found for purchase on line, or would be quite expensive if purchased from some of the 'better' growers. I know in shopping the Mitsch catalog, everything they sell is $5 or more for one bulb.

I need to look up some of these I just got for $3 and see what they might sell for if available on line.

Rose Royale is one I purchased it doesn't seem to be available on the net, but might be found in a daffodil specialty catalog.

Dang...I never realized that Brent and Becky's carried so many cultivars. YIKES!!! I better stay away from there until everything I have ordered has been received and planted

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

Oh, Sue

I went and looked at the Daffodil Acres online catalogue ;_;.

You might like N. b. 'Nylon', or N. b. romieuxii. ('Nylon' is my 'bestest' choice.)

Thanks for the giggle. You lightened my day! ("better stay away from there until everything I have ordered has been received and planted.")

Enjoy yourself mightily!!!

• Donna
    14 years ago

There is a daffodil called Narcissus bulbocodium, var. conspicuus "Yellow Hoop Petticoat". It is an old southern passalong. VERY miniature with leaves so fine that they blend right into the grassy lawn, except for their grassy green color during the dead of winter. The bloom is a deep golden yellow. They bloom very very early. They are basically all cup, practically no petals, thus hoop petticoats. They are only winter hardy in zones 7 and above. They can sustain foliage damage below l0 degrees (zone 8). McClure and Zimmerman has them listed this year. Brent and Becky's usually does too. :)

I'm glad I saw this. I really need to divide mine this year.