Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phantom_white

bulb advice needed

phantom_white
11 years ago

I'm trying to fix up my mom's flower bed and need some suggestions on flowers to use. The soil is mostly red clay but I'm adding organic matter as I get it. I don't think there's any real color scheme going on; I'd just like pretty stuff I can use for cut flowers.

These are the bulbs I've planted so far:

Bearded Iris- "Full Tide" and "Cherub's Smile"

Tulip- Daydream

Hyacinth Mix

Does anyone have suggestions they'd like to add? I'll be planting some perennials and annuals as well so I only need a few more bulbs.

Thanks,

Abby

Comments (8)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hang on a minute - you found hyacinths and tulips for sale in August and planted them?

The easiest bulb is probably daffodils but they aren't usually planted until Autumn - October in my climate. Same for Hyacinths. Tulips usually go in in November here.

• phantom_white
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The recommendations on the package said they could be planted anytime from now through November. I'm not too familiar with bulbs (except for garlic...) so I just followed the instructions...
    I've got some Narcissus bulbs that have been hanging out in a pot on the deck. Those are like Daffodils aren't they?

Abby

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Do you have a mobile garden? You've gone from zone 6b to 10 within 24 hours. Please share your secret!

• phantom_white
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know why it keeps switching my profile saves... I've changed my profile 3 times and the saves never take. *~*
    I'm in zone 6b in east TN.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

I also gave up trying to change my zone. It should be 6 but keeps reverting every time I try to save the new info.

It is a bit early to plant bulbs imo but I saw them out in the stores. It shouldn't be a problem as long as they're not kept too wet.

I'm also going to recommend daffodils, they should come back every year and will make nice cut flowers. Put them further in the back so that you won't notice the gaps when they die back for summer. Generally if you chose earlier types the leaves should die back quicker and you won't get sick of looking at yellowing foliage. Also you can plant the bulbs under and between most perennials and get double duty out of the space.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

There's also Scilla, Fritillaria, and Crocus for your zone, although these wouldn't be high on my list for cut flowers.

Totally agree with daffs. Most stores will have a selection of different types. Even if you plant different types in masses together, I would recommend getting at least 2-3 types because some end up smelling like old gym socks, unpleasant when cut and brought inside.

It's not necessary to have a wide variety of different bulbs to make a "wow" statement, and patches of them usually look at lot more natural and eye-catching then one here, one there, or (shudder) rows. IMO, using lots of the same bulbs gives the most satisfying results.

BTW, Iris aren't really bulbs and shouldn't be buried completely. The top surface of the rhizomes should be left exposed to avoid rot.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Bulbs I now avoid: Chionodoxa and Puschkinia, especially the former.
    The real problem is their seeding around.

Knew enough to avoid Scilla sibirica in the first place.

Reason: very invasive.

I don't find the hybrid pink Chionodoxa ('Giant Pink'/'PInk Giant') such a problem.

In reality, guess it's what kind of garden you have/want.
    All of the above, however, may spread into your neighbour's garden.

• vetivert8
    11 years ago

For spring and early summer - hardy Alliums, Muscari, and Gladiolus communis. You may need to edit these after a few years. Lots of little bulblets but not too horrendous. :-)

For summer - perhaps the dwarf bedding Dahlias, or tuberous begonias - particularly if you're willing to lift them for the winter. Usually happy to increase in size but not range in the garden.

Avoid Oxalis (any) and Ranunculus ficaria, unless you looove weeding.