Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Ordering/purchasing time-Daffodils!

Who all has been looking at and ordering Daffodils? Is anyone buying locally from any gardening clubs or daffodil societies?

I've placed orders with 2 different Specialty Growers (PHS and Daffodils and More, both have lists available by email only). I'm thinking about placing a second order with one of them too.

Last Saturday was one of Indiana Daffodil Society's Bulb Sales and that netted several nice, 'needed' cultivars at just $3 per bag (at least one bloom sized bulb and 1 or more smaller bulbs).

The Specialty Growers list cultivars that you won't find in the big box stores or from General Bulb Merchants.

The Daffodil Societies, like other societies, offer many cultivars that you won't find for sale anywhere else, and are usually quite reasonably priced.

I see many of the Daffodil Societies show they have bulb sales. Hmmm...I think I'll email a couple to see if they have a list of what is available, and if they do mail orders.

hint, hint...being an In Daff Soc member, I have access to a lot of what is for sale and might be able to help feed your addiction, since I am an enabler. Feel free to drop me an email.

Sue

Comments (7)

• Donna
    12 years ago

I was wondering when you'd be sounding roll call, sue! :)
    I placed my order from Brent&Becky a couple weeks ago, though I had sworn I wouldn't this year...
    I concentrated on looking for the earliest blooming whites that will grow in the south. Mid Season bloomers were the earliest I could find, though I already have Avalanche and Ice Follies to fill in a bit earlier. I know they're not completely white, but they're the best I could do. Also ordered some more Camassia. They have done great in my garden for the last few years!

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

I've been looking to get some maybe 50 big yellow ones of some sort. i found a coupon for gardens alive on their website for 25. off any order and i ordered 3 mixed bags, was cheap ended up spending 12. and got 36 bulbs and free small bag of fertilizer, still wanting some big yellows :) i got some nice big ones at walmart few years back.

• sagardener
    12 years ago

mamasllamas,

Lowes in san antonio TX sells a very big bag containing huge bulbs(50) for 17$. Pardon me if they are not what you are looking for. The picture on the bag shows a big yellow one. I want to plant some in my garden this year. But I'm so new to this so I'm exploring. Hope this helps

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

i just picked some (sept 6) up at walmart for 4.88 for 14 huge 12/14 cm bulbs, the lowes ones are a better buy :)
    but walmart had tulips crocus and other pretties too. i'm in the country walmart is the closest.

• irish_rose_grower
    12 years ago

Hey Sue- it's Maureen - how are you doing? I just came across this post and if it's not too late i would love to see the email list(s) you are referring to. What fun to find daffs that aren't in the big garden stores.

I didn't get the daffs to bloom that you sent me last year - but i'm hoping to get to see the blooms this spring....can't wait.

take care
    Maureen

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

Oh, Sue! I so wish you could enable me! But MAF would not allow (border control.)

I've fallen in love with two Mitsch daffs - Pipit and Young Love. Oh. And Emerald..something. They looked gorgeous in the pictures. Simply splendid.

It's been a good season so far. Good seed-set for later. I'm waiting for Foundling to show its face, and wondering about the strange cyclamineus type that's shown up, unlabelled, in a perfectly ordinary pot of run-of-the-mill daffs.

Hope yours is as yummy in its turn after all the scheming and anticipating and Great Bargains.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    12 years ago

I usually go to my local Lily Society sale, which is next week, at the Chicago Botanic Garden. The daffodil club always shows at the same time. What I want (miniatures or poeticus types) always sell out almost immediately. I usually have something or other that prevents me from getting there at opening on Saturday, which I expect will happen again this year. :(

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County