Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant daffodil bulbs in Boston area?

Posted by gabos MA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 13:50

I live in Boston area and I am planning on planting some Daffodil bulbs for spring blooming next year. When is the best time to plant them? I saw some bulbs on sale in a local store here and I bought them. Can I plant them this or next weekend?

Please advice. I am newbie to Daffodils.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant daffodil bulbs in Boston area?

It's too early and you've traditionally got a lot of warm (at least nice) weather to go yet. The soil is too warm now.

Plant daffodil bulbs in fall, 6 - 8 weeks before a hard frost is expected and when soils are below 60 degrees F. but still workable. This is usually during late September and October and sometimes even into early November in the North.

You can get your soil prepared - weeded, cleared of rocks, etc. - anytime though.

o

It is way too early to plant as the soil temps need to cool. I suspect your proper planting time would be the close to mine, and you could start in early/mid Oct and continue until the soil freezes. There are even some of us late planters that devise ways to plant after the soil has frozen, planting above ground level, and then covering with soil, and mulches.

In Nov and Dec there are always threads about still being able to get those last bulbs planted somewhere, somehow.

Sue

o

I'm no expert on daffodils, but I always understood that daffodil bulbs like to go in the ground sooner than other kinds of bulbs (like tulip bulbs, for instance). At any rate, I have always planted my daffodil bulbs in very late summer/early fall, and they have been thriving for years.

Maybe I just lucked out--don't know.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here