Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question on planting hardy glads this late

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 13:59

Someone gave me a whole bunch of hardy glads (dozens). I'm sure they will overwinter for me. Mine do and the lady that gave them to me lives near and has been leaving them in the ground over winter. I'm just not sure they'll make it through their FIRST winter since I'll be planting them so late.
I don't know how long ago they were dug up but there's no foliage attached, just the corms.
If I plant them now will they go ahead and grow foliage again or wait til spring?
Help - I don't want to kill them all.
Can I plant them deeper the first winter or something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
save the glads

More info - I found out they were dug a few months ago. That explains why some of them look dry. : (
Our average first frost is around mid October.

o
RE: question on planting hardy glads this late

I'd plant them ASAP, and like you suggested, maybe plant them a little deeper and mulch them well this winter.

Good luck!

Sue

o

Thanks Sue! You're north of me. Do you have glads that you leave in the ground over winter?
This one comes back every year for me and another one that's solid pink.
Photobucket
I counted the corms. There were 135. lol I have no idea what colors they will be. I think I'll just make a nursery bed for them for now and decide what to do with them next year if they survive.

How deep can I plant them?

o

No, I don't have any...but in looking at yours and some on line, might need to get some next year.

Several sites list than as hardy in zones 4-9 so you should be fine. One site says to plant them 3"-6" deep.

I wonder if yours pictured might be Charming Beauty

Maybe after they are planted and survive the winter and bloom for you, we could work a trade next season some time...think? Maybe you could tag the colors when they bloom. 135 bulbs...YIKES!

Sue

o

That would be great Sue. These came from a local Master Gardener so maybe there will be some pretty ones. Hope they're not all the same color. I'll take some pictures next summer when(if) they bloom.

The one in the photo might be Charming Beauty. I can't remember. I boxed away some plant tags somewhere I need to find.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here