Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lila888

Please Help ID this Crinum Lily

lila888
14 years ago

I bought this Crinum at Ebay. The only one blooming out of 7. This is my first time growing Crinums, any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

lila

{{gwi:23160}}

{{gwi:23162}}

{{gwi:23164}}

{{gwi:23166}}

Comments (8)

• kayjones
    14 years ago

Do a google.com search for Crinum powellii Rosea and see if it's the one you have.

• lila888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks kayjones. I did do a search and my crinum look like Ellen Bosanquet.

• bubba62
    14 years ago

Yep, Ellen Bosanquet's the best guess.

• Donna
    14 years ago

I agree with bubba. It looks just like my Ellen B., and since this one is prolific and readily available commercially, it's highly likely that's what you have.
    FYI, crinums are not winter hardy in your area. They are cold hardy only in zones 7b and higher. BUT, if they are disturbed (dug or divided), they may take two or three years to bloom again. So, you will need to keep your bulbs in pots and bring them inside for the winter. They like plenty of water and nitrogen during their growing season. I do not know what kind of care they would need in the winter.

• lila888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much bubba62 and donnabaskets. They are planted in pots right now and I wish I planted them in much bigger pots if I have known they do not like being disturbed. Come wintertime, I will treat and care for them just like my hippeastrums.

• debbiecz3
    14 years ago

Very pretty color! I have just one crinum, planted in a 14" container that I bring in every fall and what I do is just stick it down the basement for the winter months. It is in a dark, cool room, gets no water and still manages to put on some growth over the winter! About the end of March or early April I bring it up into the light and begin watering again. I have had it bloom early in the house and then again late summer outside on the patio. I think they are pretty near indestructable! I will probably repot in a larger container next spring. I would assume you could also grow on in bright light inside over the winter like an amaryllis as you mentioned.

• lila888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Debbiecz3, thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it. I have limited space in my basement which receives sunlight and it is where I put my hippeastrums. I am glad to know that crinums survive in such conditions during winter months. Now I can't wait for them to bloom next year!

• flossieann
    14 years ago

I have this crinum and have been wondeing for years what it's name is so thanks for the info. Mine grow in the ground and we have frosts but they never appear to suffer much and I've given away a load of them because they keep putting on "pups". They're like bromiliads in that you can break off a "pup" stick it in the ground and you have a new plant. Unlike bromiliads the mother plant doesn't die, just goes on to have more "pups" next year. Again, thanks for the info.