Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips outside during cold winter???

Posted by joaninha Montreal (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 14:32

I'm just beggining on my forever gardening passion, I don't have a garden, just my balconies and my house. I made some successfull trial during this summer, and I would like to plant tulips for next years. I read a lot about on the internet about planting tulips on pots, but I have a doubt I wasn't able to clarify. During the cold Montreal winters when temperatures go below 0C, and if I can't store my planted tulips inside, how should I protect then successfully on the balconies? Is it possible? Impossible? Thank you to everyone that can help me on my first trials!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips outside during cold winter???

hi Joan! Tulips need the cold weather before blooming. Our gardening friends in warmer climates, like California and Florida, have to dig them up and chill them before planting! The main thing you will have to worry about with planing your tulips in pots, is that it makes a nice handy snack for squirrels and chipmunks! You may want to cover with chicken wire over the winter. Have fun!

HW

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 10, 06 at 15:55

Joan, it is not the cold that you need to worry about, but the freeze, thaw cycle. This is what makes it difficult to bring potted plants through our winters. Difficult but not impossible. First, use very large pots to provide as much insulation as possible with the soil. Don't plant the bulbs on the edges. If they are square or large enough you can line them with styrofoam. If not, find some way to insulate them on the outside. You can use almost anything - old blankets, bags of leaves... Preferably put the containers in a shady part of the balcony, so the sun won't be raising their temperature on a daily basis. Your enemy here is not cold, but temperature fluctuations. Bulbs in the ground are usually protected just by the large mass of the earth, combined with leaves or snow cover.

Hope this helps some.

Janet's Garden

o

Thanks for your help, I will try to protect them the better I can from the freezing and from the temperatures flutuations... Next year I guess we will know if I was sucessfull. I'm crossing all my fingers!
Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here