Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to dig Lycoris radiata?

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 15:18

Is there a better time to do this? They will be blooming soon, and I would like to divide some clumps and spread them around. Now, or next spring? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to dig Lycoris radiata?

From everything I've read and experienced, the optimum time to do this is just as the plant enters dormancy (when the leaves yellow and die off.) Around here, that's usually June, but I never catch them in time to move them then. They might still be dormant right now, if you can find them, but I've never had a new (dormant) bulb bloom the first year I planted it, so you might lose the blooms for this year. I know it's counterintuitive, but if you can't wait until late next spring, I think I'd try it once the bulbs are in full leaf, making sure to get as many roots as possible. Other amaryllids can be moved "in the green" - there's a (disputed, and probably erroneous) theory that Galanthus should ONLY be moved when they have roots and foliage - so why not Lycoris? You might lose a year of bloom whenever you do it, but if you don't divide all of your clumps in the same year, it shouldn't be a big deal.

o
RE: when to dig Lycoris radiata?

Thanks, bubba. Mine are really tightly clumped up, but are in an easy spot to watch. It might be hard to get them up intact right now. I believe I will wait until next spring when I routinely cut back all that dead foliage anyway. Appreciate the feedback.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here