Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Crinum question

Donna
13 years ago

I know that crinums don't like to be disturbed. But, do they ever NEED to be divided? I have several huge clumps of Milk and Wine lilies and friends are asking for offsets. I hate to say no, but I hate to disturb my clumps too.... Is there ever a time that it's best for their health or blooming that they be divided?

Comments (7)

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Offsets can be easily detached from the main plants by a shovel, it doesn't disturb the main plant at all and if done at the onset of spring it will greatly benefit the new plants (offset) to quickly overcome the stress.

Crinums here tend to bloom late in summers so the spring time is ideal for dividing them.

Izhar

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

It's healthy to divide every once in a while, it keeps them less crowded and they should bloom a bit better :) It also gives the offsets more of a chance to mature!

Josh

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Good to know. Mine is really pretty right now, and it's been there for probably 10 years without being disturbed. It was ONE bulb when I planted it. It probably has 50 or so individual plants in there now.

Dennis
    SE Michigan

PS -- I wish more people knew that this plant is hardy beyond the Mason Dixon line with proper winter care -- I just cut mine off after the fall frosts take the foliage, and cover with about of foot of fluffy oak leaves. It's seen air temps as low as about -15 without any problems.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Crinum Bulbispermum is one of the prettiest crinum as well and it's SO hardy! Most people don't realize they can grow this! Hymenocallis Occidentalis is also hardy to Zone 6 or -10 F. As well as Hippeastrum Johnsonii hardy to zone 6 or -10 F!

People are too scared too try!

All of them are very pretty unusual flowers for our zones :)

• beachplant
    13 years ago

I'm in the south and dig and transplant them pretty much year round.
    They don't need to be divided living for years in cemetaries, ditches, etc. But they do like to multiply so dividing them becomes necessary in the garden. They don't mind at all, at least here. I've even had them bloom the week after being moved, though they can pout and take a couple of years to bloom.

You can just break off the offsets or use a sharp knife to cut them loose, don't worry if they have little or no roots, as long as the basal plate is intact they will root.
    Do your produce seed? They grow like weeds from the seed so that's another option to share.
    Tally HO!

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

I've dug and divided crinums before with good luck, but the one thing I've found is that the ones in my garden were VERY deep, and I had to be very careful not to cut the bulbs in half by digging too shallowly. I mean they were at least a foot down there. Mine were very old clumps, 50 yrs or more.

• mori1
    13 years ago

I'm in zone5 so I can't grow mine in the ground if I want them to bloom. I received mine last year and I didn't know what to do. I was told to contact Marcelle, the crinum lady and she was so helpful. I now have them planted in plastic pots that I put in the ground once the weather warmed up. Then when it gets too cold, I will lift them up and bring them inside. The no name actually bloomed while St Christopher had a fit and went dormant. Its leafed out now and I hope by next year I will get blooms.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz