Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with bulb-diggin squirrels!

Posted by celeegra 6 NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 16:40

I just moved into a new place this spring & my neighbors are saying that it's not worth planting bulbs this Fall, since the squirrels see where you plant & then dig them up. Any advice on how to keep my bulbs in the ground until the spring?
Help! Grace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with bulb-diggin squirrels!

Squirrels will dig up any disturbed soil, spring or fall.
I usually lay chicken wire over newly planted areas, hold it down with bricks or rocks, then remove it after the ground has frozen.
Works anytime.
:-)

o

I planted a lot of tulips one year, and squirrels dug them all up. But then I planted some species tulips, T. praestans unicum, which are beautiful red with variegated foliage, and found one the squirrels had dug sitting on the top of the ground blooming the next spring. They didn't bother with the rest of them.

They also don't bother my Narcissus and Muscari.

o

The dig them up regularly when I plant them. Some they will eat, if they like them. Others they just leave lying on the ground. I think they watch me plant and after I step away, they dig them up to see what I buried. Usually I just replant them later and they don't bother them again. They will steal crocus bulbs and as for cyclamen, they eat them on the spot. I find a good spraying of Ropel on the bulbs, helps, and I usually spray it on the ground after I plant them. Just don't get the stuff on your hands!

o

Mix daffodils and alliums in with the other bulbs. Rocks help, I've also tried mixing up garlic powder, cayenne powder and blood meal and sprinkling that everywhere.

o

I live in the woods with some very giant squirrels. I planted bulbs, the squirrels dug, I chased them away and then I covered the ground where they were planted with alot of Chilli powder! They havent touched them since!! I learned that from my mom growing up! They won't touch them!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here