Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Muscari

Posted by bkay2000 8a TX (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 17:12

In old neighborhoods, we have these small muscari that bloom beautifully. (I had some at my previous house.) They are usually naturalized in the lawn. They bloom pretty early.

I have bought muscari on several occasions and they bloom once and never bloom again. How can I get the old version?

bkay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Muscari

If you know where these Muscari are that you covet - wait for a fine day. Go to the street where you've seen them. Look for a householder out in the garden and ---- ask.

You'll probably be lucky 'cos gardeners (mostly) love sharing their surplus plants. Just wait until they fetch a digging implement and some sort of container. Offer some of your own surplus treasures and voila! Muscari, a friend, and probably leads to other goodies as well. Good luck!

PS if the front yards are tended 'by magic' (no one is EVER seen cutting the grass or pulling weeds) - you could go to the door and knock politely.

o

The old southern "starch hyacinth" is likely what you are seeing. The Latin name is Muscari neglectum. Old House Gardens and Brent and Beckys Bulbs, for two, carry them. OTOH, the ones growing in your neighbors' yards would most likely be far superior since they have naturalized in your climate, if you have the nerve to beg a start. If you do, when you have an excess, I'd love to trade! :)

o

bkay2000 - told ya so! Gardeners like donnabaskets - they're the ones to ask!

o

If you were here I'd give you all you could dig.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here