Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodil foliage emerging

Posted by agardenstateof_mind 7a/b NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 17:27

I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears a bit early ... but seeing green shoots of 'Tete-a-Tete' in August has me just a mite concerned. Anyone have any experience with this?

This spring, most plants were about 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule. It has been a very hot and dry summer, with plenty of days in the 90's and some just over 100. It has cooled down recently to the 70's-80's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodil foliage emerging

I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears a bit early ... but seeing green shoots of 'Tete-a-Tete' in August has me just a mite concerned. Anyone have any experience with this?
No experience with Tete-aTete being this early, but imagine some of the Division 10 Bulbocodium cultivars may be emerging at any time.

I wouldn't be concerned. They may just be planted kind of shallow, which has caused them to emerge and I think they will be fine. Muscari foliage has started emerging here, and it usually starts somewhat later in the year.

Sue

o

I've got Muscari foliage now but never have had any daffodils or narcissus come up this early. I have loads of Tete a Tetes.

o

I'm accustomed to seeing muscari foliage now, but not daffodil. Don't know that I can do anything about it, of course ... It isn't like I can push them back down again. We'll see what happens. Might have daffodils for my Thanksgiving decorations!

o

It seems a lot of bulbs are confused this year. The weather hasn't been normal, no rain, very hot days.... If there was some kind of rain the daffodils may have decided dormancy was over. A lot of daffodils actually don't require a cold period to bloom so you're absolutely right, thanksgiving might be pretty yellow this year :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here