Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Some suggestions needed for a tulip/daffodil bed

kentstar
15 years ago

Hi e1!

I have two long (14 ft wide by 2 foot deep) raised flower beds in the front against the house using landscape timbers. I just built them this year. So far I only put annuals in it this spring, till I could figure out my garden design for it.

I bought 50 tulip bulbs and 50 daffodil bulbs from White Flower Farm. I bought 25 "lilly" tulips "Corps de Ballet, 25 Apricot Impressions Darwin Hybrid tulips, 25 double daffodils "Campernelle", and 25 "Lemon Glow" daffodils. They arrive in Sept.

I was thinking of dividing them up 50 per flower box, then dividing THAT up to make three groupings of flowers per box. I would plant perrenials around those such as tiarella, maybe miniture hosta, miniture daylillies, etc.

Any suggestions about grouping the bulbs? Any suggestions about what perrenials to plant? I live in NE Ohio zone 5b. I will plant a few annuals next year in there also, such as impatiens.

Thanks in advance.

Kentstar

Comments (8)

• paddlehikeva
    15 years ago

sounds like a good plan. How about some miniature iris?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue J's MTB iris

• kentstar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, will check it out. I never knew there were "miniature iris"!
    Was thinking of putting some sedum over to cover the browning foliage of the flowers when they are done. But, I think sedum spreads.
    Any suggestions for a very low growing, not so spreading cover for the browned leaves after bloom?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I would plant perrenials around those such as tiarella, maybe miniture hosta, miniture daylillies, etc.

You have a mix of sun and shade plants there. Which side of the house is it on? Are there trees that will provide AM or PM shade once the leaves are on?

But, I think sedum spreads.
    Yes they do, some faster than others. Some provide year round interest. Angelina, is one that stays nice year round, and doesn't spread too fast. They aren't much trouble to trim back if they do get too big.

I also like the for nice foliage year round and the blooms often off and on over a long bloom period.

Sue

• paddlehikeva
    15 years ago

I agree with Sue about Dianthus and I also like some of the creeping veronicas as ground covers around bulbs.

Bluestone Perennials has lots of ground cover choices. But please do pay attention to rate of spread because alot of them could easily consume the 2 feet width you have alloted them.

One other thing you may want to consider is that the first 2 feet around your house may be a dry zone. That is to say the eaves of your house prevent it from getting any moisture from rainfall. You will probably need to compensate with an alternative water source.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Stone Perennials Ground Covers

• kentstar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The boxes are on the western side of the house. There is a huge oak tree in front, southern side, that will provide some shade as well. I get shade most of the day till about 2 to 3 pm when the sun is more westerly. I will check out your suggestions. Thanks!
    I do water the boxes regularly, so I don't think that will be a problem.
    I bought two miniature hosta's and four small heuchera from Bluestone Perrenials today. I will be planting those in the boxes. Just want to try for a couple of other perrenials.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

I am also looking for companion plants to Daffodils and will do a search for Tiarella to learn about it. This is a good thread to keep checking back, thanks for posting it. I think I will be sowing a wildflower mix with my Dafs also. They usually contain Bachelors Buttons, Phlox divarcata (sp?), Hespiris, Silene and others that seem perfect. I just thought of another good plant, Daisies of any kind. The annual ones remain green all winter in most zones and may bloom in time with the Dafs. That reminds me to grow annuals and perennials that will remain green all winter here in NC zone 7 like the 2 kinds of Forget me nots; Myosotis and Cynoglossom, Malva, Hollyhocks, annual Daisies, and the Bach Buttons also are green here all winter. I am sure there are many more. Pansies, Johnny Jump-ups, many more. Even Mustard Greens are lovely in bloom in April and would cover the dieing foliage of the Dafs.

• teresa_b
    15 years ago

I have read in several sources that daylilies are good companions with daffodils so maybe give those a try as well.

Teresa

• kentstar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is an update on my perennial garden. Here are the plants I decided to plant in there:

Daffodil Dbl Campernelle

Allium Ambassador
    Allium Globemaster
    Allium White Giant
    Apricot Impressions Tulip
    Corps de Ballet Tulips
    Bonfire Euphorbia
    Aztec Gold Veronica
    Early Sunrise Coreopsis

Sunny Border Blue Veronica
    Echinacea Sunrise

Gaillardia Arizona Sun
    Echinacea Tiki Torch

I decided to stay with a hot colors theme, except for the Alliums with will make their own bold statement. lol