Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dug up glads a bit too early!

Posted by honeybeem 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 18:21

We used to live at my mother-in-law's property and I left some glads to retrieve at a later date...I had seen some in flower and noticed they were finished and the flower stems dried today, so I dug them up before looking up when to do so. Now that I've "googled" a little I see I should have waited a bit more. The green stems are big and healthy, not yellowed like I read they should be when you dig them. It's maybe even possible some had yet to flower. So....should lay them out to dry anyway and plant next spring? Does it matter if I cut off the green stem or should I leave it? Or should I go ahead and plant the corms right now. They did fine being left out all winter at the other place. I'm also posting this in the OK gardening forum where I'm from..zone 6a...Thanks very much for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dug up glads a bit too early!

If it were me I'd get them into soil immediately and hope they're a vigorous enuf cultivar to thumb their noses at the early uprooting. Hopefully there are still some roots.

o
RE: Dug up glads a bit too early!

Corms need that green to yellow to support energy for the corm for the following season. You need to get them back in the ground! If you let them dry up you could cause the corms to shrink an incredible amount and it could take years for them to bloom again!

Good Luck
Josh

*btw, zone 6 is pushing it a bit, I'm zone 6 as well and most of mine come back but you never know :) *

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here