Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's this?

Posted by bobbyle (guster_bo@abv.bg) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 18:35

Could you please ID this plant for me?

A friend gave it to me today, the bulb has been lying on its side in his garage for a while and it has produced this flower spike without soil or anything recently. I've just put it in some wet soil in a plastic bag prior to planting it properly in some better soil tomorrow. The flower is white (for now) and looks a bit like a Kniphofia one, but this has a rather enormous bulb and no leaves at all, at least at this stage...

Below the photo I'm posting a link to a close-up of the flowerhead

Here is a link that might be useful: A close-up of the flowerhead

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's this?

You might want to try posting in the name this plant forum. The fact it's blooming wihtout leaves and the flower is kind of distinctive.... someone more knowledgeable should be able to ID it. good luck and if you get an answer please post here!

o

Thanks, I'll do that.

And I forgot to mention that my friend got it from Turkey.

o

If it has been kept in the dark the lack of colour, length of stem and lack of leaves may all be atypical and due to low light.

o

Well, while it has been in a garage it still has had some natural daylight I learned. It doesn't show signs of discoloration as the other 3 bulbs that my friend has potted up look the same, he told me - no leaves, just an upright stem, and white flowers... He got them from an island in Turkey, growing in the hot bright sun, in a dry area...

o

Success!

It's been ID-ed as "Urginea maritima" by "bboy" in "Name That Plant" forum and I think that's just what it is... :)

o

bobbyle - I'm pleased that you have got your id at last. But I am concerned that your friend got these bulbs from Turkey. If, as it sounds, they were dug from the wild I think you need to investigate the circumstances. Bulb collection from the wild in Turkey has caused dreadful decline in the natural flora in the past although there are now schemes to regulate the trade. I hope you'll discuss this issue with your friend and check that s/he is participating in a regulated scheme. Good luck in keeping, and I hope, increasing your bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sustainable bulb collecting

o

Well, I asked him and he said that the turks were aware of this as they have obviously shown them this site so they were not worried at all... And they've told them that it was a good medicine plant of some sort...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here