Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garamond_gw

How long can you store daffodil bulbs?

Garamond
9 years ago

Wondering how long daffodil bulbs can be safely stored. Does keeping them in the crisper add to the amount of time that they can stay viable?

Comments (8)

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

You can store them in a cool, dry place such as you basement until planting time, which is after the ground has cooled off in the fall.

There is no need to keep them in the refrigerator, unless you want to force them this winter. I would not keep them longer than for the summer, though.

• Garamond
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So there is no safe way to store them for 12-18 months?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Look at it this away, if you had a grizzly bear hibernating...and you tried to keep it on ice another six months beyond normal hibernation periods, wouldn't you expect it to starve to death ?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    9 years ago

Also think of it this way. An onion, also a bulb, could not be stored for 12-18 months.

Might you know of someone who could plant them on their property, at the proper time this fall? They could then be dug next year and either be replanted immediately on your property, or else dried/cured, and stored until the proper fall planting time in 2015.

• Garamond
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My situation is that I may be moving sometime in the next year. I have read that it isn't good to lift daffodils while in bloom or before the leaves wither. A friend recommended that I lift the bulbs now and pack them in peat moss, but I have a couple hundred bulbs, no basement or cellar, and not a lot of room in my condo.

Honestly at this point I'm leaning towards leaving them in the ground and figuring things out when my plans become more solidified. If I have to, I can leave them behind :(

• Nancy
    9 years ago

It isn't great to lift daffs in bloom, or before the leaves yellow, but won't kill them. They might miss some bloom the following year, but they should survive. I've lifted some bulbs I was getting from a friend, they were in full bloom but I lifted the entire clump, put in plastic bag, then went directly home & planted them. They bloomed the next year.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Depending upon quantity, you could consider potting them, and sinking the pots in the ground. That'd be better and easier than lifting bareroot.

• Garamond
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I think I'm going to go with a combination--do one thing with one set of bulbs, another with a separate set, etc.--to increase the chances that at least some of them will survive.

The worst part is that there's a possibility the move won't happen until this time next year, when it would be simple to just dig up the bulbs! Unfortunately I don't know if or when it will happen, and I've been fretting over what to do. This helped a lot, thanks again!