Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gladiolus won't bloom great plant

Posted by justuschickens nCA mtns z7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 19:41

I don't know what to do to my glads. No matter where I try them I get a big plant with no flowers. Moved them for light,soil,sun everyting I could think of what is needed to bloom? There are some a 1/2 mile up my drive that have reverted to the wild natural purple. They bloom every year. Don't know how they got planted, frustrating...... I will dig some of those this fall see if they grow here but I wanted other colors too if they work any idea's....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gladiolus won't bloom great plant

Did you feed them? Is your soil high nitrogen content? I would try some bulb food or a high phosphorus like Super Bloom to see if you can get them to bloom. I've never had that problem with mine, even after I amended my soil with manure. Where did you get your corms?

Susan

o

Justus---as pointed out what you have been feeding your glads may have a lot to do with how they flower....if they flower.

Perhaps your bed is close to a lawn area where you feed it high nitrogen on a regular basis.
Sooner or later, after years of enriching the lawn area with high nitrogen, it can have an effect on how well (if) your plants thrive.

Many times, plants will thrive...in the production of foliage...and deny flowering.
That can be put right at the feet of the nitrogen that is causing the plant to grow--but refuse to bloom.

Glads are encouraged to be in soil that drains well and fed superphosphate or bone meal in early spring and thereafter fed a fertilizer such as 5/10/10 when spikes begin to develop.

You in California are encouraged also to plant species that are planted when it is cooler. It is advised you stay away from those that need to be planted during the high heat season.

Then too, due to your heat and lot of sun, it is suggested that you put the plants in deep...6" at least.

o

Great info not sure how to check for nitrogen but dought it's high I will try the fertilizers you suggested. When I do this may be everything too. Thanks all of you....

o

I know you don't have to dig them up in CA, but if you did, you could snap off the old corms. Maybe that would help.

o

I'm sure my glads aren't blooming because my husband fertilizes every year, near the bed. Is there anything I can do to negate the effect of nitrogen?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here