Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hellebores with bulbs?

Posted by daysquid 7 Annapolis, MD (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 20:33

I'm new to gardening and have purchased some grape galaxy hellebores. I'd really like suggestions on what bulbs to plant with them. Thanks to all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hellebores with bulbs?

I'd consider snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis), checker lilies (Fritillaria meleagris) or any of the early narcissus, like 'Tete a tete'. Any crocus would work, too. These all tend to have an early bloom season so will compliment the flowering of the hellebore and are happy in part shade or less than full sun locations. And they appreciate the dryness in summer, as does the hellebore.

o

I love these suggestions. Thanks. I also found this tulip...

http://www.burpee.com/flowers/flowering-bulbs/fall-planted-bulbs/tulip-bulbs/tulip-insulinde-prod002450.html

Do you think it would work?

o

It's a beautiful tulip so plant it if you like but it will be in bloom much later than the hellbores. Also would prefer to be in full sun.

o

Maybe I'll experience with a few -- but thanks for pointing out that it likes full sun. Hmmm.

o

Not exactly bulbs but I have pink and white hardy Cyclamen under/between my hellebores which cope with the dry conditions and flower in late summer.

o

Also not exactly bulbs - and in small patches where the Hellebores won't swamp them - Anemone blanda, Anemone nemorosa, Polygonatum (variegated, otherwise it could be a 'battle of the garden thugs') and, if they're hardy for you - various Corydalis.

o

Yes - I have Corydalis solida in the same bed. Very early and then disappears until next spring.

o

• Posted by daysquid US 7 Annapolis, MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 17:15

Thanks for all these suggestions. Very helpful. Keep them coming. I had thought about adding tassel ferns but I'm confused about them liking dryness. I've seen pictures of helebores with ferns. Thoughts?

o

Yes - ferns go well with hellebores but as you guessed you need to check they are species which can cope with the dryness. I have Asplenium scolopendrium, Hart's-tongue Fern which is a native evergreen fern and grows a lot in my area. I also have Dryopteris filix-mas, Male fern, and Lady Fern (Athyrium filix-femina)also both natives.

The picture shows hardy Cyclamen and the fern Polystichum setiferum, also evergreen in my climate, with Hellebore stems on the right. You can see they all grow well in dry shade under a Medlar (trunk visible at left).

o

Flora UK: Thanks for the picture and the post. Your picture looks very natural. I want to plant Hellebores next to the brick stairs leading down to our cottage and am torn between an ultra natural look or something more structured as it is our front -- albeit, an old brick stair with big holly tree above.

And keep the ideas coming! Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here