Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Naked Ladies

Posted by daylily_dreamer Ohio5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 20:39

I'm sure you can tell by my name where I usually hang-out, but I'm hoping someone here can help me. I was given some Naked Lady bulbs last year. I planted them and then in the early summer some weak leaves appeared. Then they died off. Aha, I thought, this is where the "nakedness" begins. I have been waiting for more action. I've noticed in the last week that others in our area are all up and blooming. What happened? Also, if someone could give me the scientific name maybe I wouldn't be blocked when I try to yahoo information! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Naked Ladies

When were you given the bulbs and when did you plant them? They should have had strong foliage earlier in the year, maybe coming up in April/May and disappearing sometime totally in July. They do take a year or more to settle in before they will bloom. They do not like being disturbed by being dug and moved and will sulk.

There are several cultivars of what are called naked ladies. There is however only one that is hardy enough to survive in your zone and mine, and that is the Lycoris Squamigera. It is pink.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Various Lycoris

o

Thank you so much! My daughter's boyfriend works at a nursery. They were digging and dividing the bulbs. The owner will send extras home with him and he gives them to me (good boyfriend). That was September and I put them in where my Japanese Iris have done well. Full sun after about 2:00. I'm glad you said that they may take a few years. I will try to be patient! Thanks again

o

The problem with common names is the bulbs could be Nerines or Colchicums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here