Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crocosmia planting timing

Posted by rscacheri1 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 21:44

I want to plant some crocosmia. I am not sure if I should get plants, or just the corms. I had thought I would get corms and plant in the fall, but I see some sources (van bourgein (sp?)) only ship in the spring and are sold out.
So when do I plant, spring or fall, and does it matter if it is a plant, or just the corm?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crocosmia planting timing

The mail order company I use has Crocosmia advertised in their Spring-Summer catalogue. Spring planting for summer flowering.

Down by the river today there were fresh new leaf blades pushing up from the shingle, having easily survived the floods of winter... (Crocosmia is often weedy here) They need good sunlight to do well. Too much shade and you'll get mostly leaves.

You could buy in autumn - so long as your soil drains well, and allows for the development of the long 'string of beads' of the old corms, plus the runners that spread out to increase the clump before forming a new corm. Check with local plant swaps and farmers markets as someone might well have them on offer.

You would probably be buying something with old flower stems and seed knobs. Just allow the foliage to die back naturally - and provide moderate water while it settles in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here