Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodil Bulbs Buried Very Deep

Posted by achang89 Central NJ Z6b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 21:50

My daffodil bulbs have stayed in the same place like 9 years. So finally it is time to dig them up and replant them.

When I dig the soil, I found the bulbs are buried very deep, like about 8 inches. I remember when I planted them, they were planted about 4 inches deep.

What made the bulbs buried so deep? Because of the cold weather? Or that is its native depth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodil Bulbs Buried Very Deep

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 8:24

Many bulbs have retractile roots that allow them to self-adjust their depth.

o

And also it could be because so much mulch has accumulated and decomposed on top of them over the years.

I find it impossible to dig up daffodils that I planted no more than 5 inches deep 25 years ago, because now they are at least a foot deep in clay soil.

o

The new bulbs appear at the base of the old one, and tend to expand down a bit, ... and each year the new bulbs are a bit lower.

Plant them at the recommended depth for your climate (3-4 inches) and let them do it again.

o

This makes sense. The bulbs are smaller than the original ones. The average size is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2". There are so many of them. I'm not sure if my new beds are large enough for them.

I still need to dig up the Iris and Daylilies.

o

I'm much too lazy to dig up my old daffodils. Some of them were planted 20 yrs ago, (Ice Follies, Salome, Mount Hood) and since they are still coming up and blooming well, I let them be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here