Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre-chilling tulip bulbs for 2nd year?

Posted by Plesiosaur NC/ 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 22:00

I know in the South you have to prechill tulips in the fridge before planting because it doesn't get cold enough in the winter for them to bloom. I also know most people dig them up after blooming and throw them away. Has anyone tried digging them up and putting them in the fridge for a second year?

I figure you'd have to wait for the foliage to die off so the bulb had enough stored energy, then I would just store them in paper bags in the garage for the summer, place them in the fridge in November then plant them out in January.

Is that a stupid waste of time?

I'd just love to get couple of seasons out of my bulbs before I toss them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre-chilling tulip bulbs for 2nd year?

I guess it depends on what your time is worth. I did it for a few years and decided it was not worth it, considering the low cost of tulip bulbs. If you do try it you will find that many tulips create 'splits' with neither bulb large enough to bloom. Most tulips less than 12cm circumference will not bloom. When you sort out the splits and the undersized, the second year only about 30% will bloom again. With tulips going for about $25 a hundred or 25 cents apiece for 14cm sure to bloom bulbs, it was not worth it for me. Al

o
RE: Pre-chilling tulip bulbs for 2nd year?

Agree with Al. If you can only have a limited number due to expense, plant one big pot full of them and put them front and center.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here