Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why rain lily bulbs disappear?

Posted by thelma662 Z7-North Ms (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 08 at 22:04

I have planted rain lily bulbs three different years and they never bloom or even show foliage later. What am I doing wrong? I am not a novice gardener but evidently don't know the secret to survival of these bulbs. Thanks for any help.

Thelma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why rain lily bulbs disappear?

My only thought is that you might want to try bulbs from a different source - a lot of "bulb" nurseries send things that don't have a chance, even in the hands of very experienced gardeners, especially if we're talking about things that aren't tulips and daffodils. Most rain lilies can be stored dry (I do it with some potted ones every year), but I prefer to buy them already growing, in pots. The best sources for those are Yucca Do nursery in TX and Plant Delights in NC; these places may charge a little more, but the plants will be of better quality, and most (other than Z. grandiflora, which is sterile) are very easy to propagate from seed.

You may be on the upper edge of winter hardiness for a lot of varieties - I'd recommend trying Z. candida and atamasco first, since they're the hardiest. Grandiflora (the most common pink) is iffy in 7a, and many of the yellows (pulchella and citrina, particularly) are even less hardy than that.

Hope that helps!

o
RE: Why rain lily bulbs disappear?

something eating them?

I lost a lot of bulbs this spring when a big area close to me was developed.

All the displaced wildlife migrated across my garden & ate everything in its path.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here