Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

what type of bulb? Can I re-use next year?

Lynn Nevins
13 years ago

Someone gave me a plant earlier this year...maybe in April? Here is a picture of it. Once the plant died I removed the bulbs and they have been sitting out on my porch ever since. Is there any 'saving' these bulbs or re-using them for next year and if so, what do I do...store them in a cool dark place? Etc.

Thanks all!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

They should be planted in the ground when the ground has cooled off before deep freezing this fall, 6" deep, 6" apart if there are more than 1 bulb.
    It's a narcissus. Not sure which cultivar. There are several that looks like that.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! And once I've put it in the ground and it blooms next Spring, can I just leave it in the ground and it will come back each Spring? Or am I supposed to remove the bulbs from the ground once the plant is done flowering, and then I put them BACK in the ground in the fall before frost?

Oh, and in the meantime, do I need to retain the bulbs in a special location....damp, moist, dry? Or are they fine just sitting out in the open on my porch, until such time as I replant them in the ground?

Tx

• Donna
    13 years ago

Assuming the bulbs are still firm when you plant them, they should return without problems. You want to put them somewhere that the soil is reasonably well drained, where it gets sun in the winter and early spring (so under deciduous trees and shrubs is okay, under evergreens that would shade them, not so much). Additionally, most daffodils like their soil to be on the dry side in the summer. If you run an irrigation system regularly, they won't like that.

• rockli
    13 years ago

is it daffodil ?
    i heard daffodil just need water almost , you should feed it at container only contain wate

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

Hi rockli - Narcissus is the formal name for daffodils of any sort.

If you have planted your daffodil bulbs in containers, and you want the bulbs to produce flowers again next year, then feeding them once the flowers have finished is a good idea.

When you buy them the flowers have already formed inside the bulb - so the information you have - just water them - will work. For one or two seasons - depending on how rich your potting mix is with any added slow-release fertiliser.

And, to go with the water - make sure they have generous drain holes in the container or they will drown and die. They need air at their roots as well as water. And NO water crystals. They keep the mix too wet.

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

vetivert - yippee's narcissus won't survive in a pot outdoors in winter in New York City, unless she buried it in the ground.

yippee,
    There is no need to dig them up. Just leave the bulbs in the ground. Allow the leaves to die on their own without cutting or braiding them so that they can receive full sunlight and replenish the bulbs.

Have fun. Narcissus are the easiest bulbs to grow. If planted in well drained soil and received enough sunlight, they'll return year after year.