Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving or dividing lycoris

Posted by debstuart1 z4NH (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 23:09

I think this is what I have! Suddenly last week stems with lily like pale pink flowers showed up on the edge of one of my borders - three naked stems and a few flowers - very nice but I don't remember planting them! - I think that there were strap-like leaves last spring and I never thought much about them. I would like to move them where they can be seen as they are not in a noticeable spot. Looking over some other posts it seems like I should wait until spring and dig them after the leaves begin to die. Just checking - they are in pretty good garden soil in pretty much full sun. I gather I should put them in a location that is at least as sunny? What are the chances that I can divide them (in other words - will there be immature bulbs forming, like with glads)? I would love to move them now while I am thinking about it, but also don't want to lose them!

thanks for advice

Deborah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving or dividing lycoris

Until better advice comes along I would say now is ok to move them, the more sun the better, and if the bulbs come apart easily when dug then yes divide them.... it's only when they are still firmly attached that I would leave them together.
Dig them with plenty of soil since the roots for these bulbs don't die back. If you cut into the roots too much or allow them to dry out while transplanting you won't kill them but you might cause them to sulk for a year, and just sit below ground for a season not growing at all.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here